EXPLORING DANVILLE'S PAST
Genealogy For Streets
Genealogy For People
This Olde House
VA-NC Genealogy Society
Danville Public Library
Civil War Sesquicentennial
William Arthur Baugh (January 1, 1836-January 31, 1908), mayor of North Danville or Neapolis in the late 1800s, was a member of the Baugh family which was so prominent in North Danville at the turn of the century.
Arthur Baugh (May 20, 1798-November 1, 1875) married Frances Pride Sutherlin, daughter of Mary Sutherlin, on June 14, 1822. The couple had thirteen children, six sons and seven daughters. In the 1860 census, Arthur Baugh, wheelwright, had real estate worth $3,000 with a personal estate of $7,000. He was buried in the Baugh Cemetery, enclosed in an iron fence and located behind the old Union Hill Baptist Church (now Glenwood Baptist) in the forks between the old Halifax Road and the road branching to the left going into Danville from Glenwood.
Daniel Thomas Baugh was the oldest son of Arthur and Frances.Born on August 1, 1828, he married Martha Susan Yeaman on February 17, 1852. In the 1860 census, his occupation was listed as wheelwright with a personal estate of $75. He was the father of four children.
The oldest daughter, Mary Ann Baugh, married Captain James Parrish Sikes (April 19, 1817-February 13, 1878) on January 21, 1837. She died on June 1, 1851. Another daughter, Susan Elizabeth Baugh, born April 18, 1831, married John Hickman on January 22, 1850.
Another son, John James Baugh, born July 12, 1833, a mechanic, enlisted in Company A of the 18th Virginia Infantry of the Confederate Army on April 23, 1861. He was wounded June 27, 1862, at Gaines’ Mill which created his detached duty to Danville Commissary Department from July 1863 to March 1864. Apparently he sensed the final outcome of the war because he deserted to the enemy on November 9, 1864, and took the oath of allegiance at Bermuda Hundred five days later.
After the war, he returned to Danville, married a widow, Rebecca Clay Rodenhizer Young, and had three children: Casper Baugh, Anna Pride Baugh and Elizabeth Frances “Bettie” Baugh who married John Thomas Davenport, the father of Carson Sutherlin Davenport, a distinguished artist and professor at Averett College. John Thomas Davenport also had two daughters: Rae Davenport, who married a Rogers, and Dandridge Baugh Davenport. A street in North Danville is probably named for these Davenports.
William Arthur Baugh, the subject of this article, was also a mechanic who, like his older brother John enlisted in Company A of the 18th Virginia Infantry on April 23, 1861, and was wounded on June 27, 1862, at Gaines’ Mill.
He remained in active service and was promoted to 1st Sgt. On April 30, 1863, he was wounded and captured on July 3, 1863, at Gettysburg, had an arm amputated, and subsequently was retired from service by a medical board on August 23, 1864. After the war, he returned home to Danville, married a widow, Sarah Ann Jenkins Moore (October 17, 1839-May 1, 1920), and established a home at what is now 835 North Main Street. They apparently had no children. In the 1900 census, William Arthur Baugh’s occupation was listed as justice of the peace. In addition to being mayor of North Danville, he was active in the town’s civic and governmental affairs. He and his wife are buried in Leemont Cemetery. The inscription on his tombstone reads, “A Christian gentleman and generous hearted neighbor, a public spirited citizen, a brave Confederate soldier.”
Robert Samuel Baugh, another son, was born on October 3, 1843, enlisted in Company E or the 38th Virginia Infantry on August 1, 1863, was AWOL as of December 31, 1864, but present on February 25, 1865, and was paroled at Appomattox Courthouse on April 9, 1865.
The youngest son was George Washington Baugh (December 16, 1844-April 20, 1921). The birth dates are from his tombstone, but another source gives 1845 as his birthdate and the 1900 census lists 1847. He married Ella Shaw (February 24,1852-December 24, 1941), a native of Maryland, and they had at least three children, Thomas A. Baugh, who eventually moved to Greenville, S. C.; Willie Baugh; and Hettie Baugh (March 25, 1887-June 29, 1964).
Hettie married Berkley A. Pollock on March 28, 1917. They resided at 175 Hawthorne Drive where they had two sons, Berkley A. Pollock, Jr., who moved to Norfolk, and William C. Pollock, who moved to Winston Salem, N. C. George Washington Baugh was quite active in North Danville’s affairs and served as chief of police for the town. His home at 639 North Main Street, on the corner of Baugh and North Main Streets, was adjacent to a lot owned by his brother, W. A. Baugh. At the time of the 1900 census, Ben W. Beach, who would eventually become a Grand Master of Masons in Virginia, was living with his wife as roomers with the G. W. Baughs. Both G. W. Baugh and his wife are buried in Leemont Cemetery.
The Baughs were leading citizens and very active in the life of North Danville. Many of the men of the family were active in the Confederate Army while having connections with many other prominent families in Danville.
Baugh Street, which takes its name from the Baughs, runs northwest from North Main Street to Claiborne Street and in 2005 contained 34 households.